Wednesday, January 7, 2009

The Creation of a Custom Portrait












I recently had the opportunity to create a custom horse portrait that was for a Christmas gift. I wanted to share with you a little bit about the creative process involved. The 2 horses in the photograph had been in the family for a long time and had shared a successful show career with both a mother and a daughter! It was the daughter's desire to capture an intimate moment between their cherished animals. We ran them around for a bit and then they finally gave me the shot I was waiting for. The first image is the actual photo. There are a few distracting elements like the wire fence and bright spots in the background.

What comes next is always fun since I work from intuition. It is important to me to add the element of human touch to my photographs. I wanted to create an elegant portrait with a magical and mystical atmosphere for the horses so I will paint in the background. I use a variety of techniques I have developed and the finished piece is between a sepia toned B&W with a hint of color. The final piece was printed on gallery wrapped canvas and ready to hang or be custom framed.












Bye for now,
Susan