Saturday, August 8, 2009

August

It is already well into the month of August and I can't believe how quickly this year has moved along! I haven't had much time or energy to any art work lately. I am surrounded by work that needs to ship to New Hampshire, Texas, Minnesota and locally from the shows I have been at but I took a little time to do some much needed work (for me!). This piece turned out to be a challenge and it took a bit of perseverance to get it to where I wanted it.

This is a portrait of August, a Canadian mare. I had never heard of the breed before I met Ingrid - the caretaker of my two boys. The Canadian Horse is a little known national treasure of Canada. This hardy breed descended from horses originally sent to the “New World” by King Louis XIV of France in the late 1600’s. These Norman and Breton horses were felt to be of Arab, Andalusian and Barb ancestry – traits of which can still be recognized in the Canadian Horse today.

There is quite an unusual lot at Ingrid's with this Canadian and her colt Echo plus the Peruvian Pasos and then my Friesian/colt crosses.

August is the alpha of the group and has quite a mind of her own! She is often standing near the gate gazing towards the house door or towards the forest. She is a horse who demands and commands respect.

I am glad to be home now for a while with no shows until mid-September! I have become enamored with a buckskin Friesian/paint filly in San Antonio. She is half sister to one of my boys and I can't seem to get her out of my mind..........Perhaps more on that later!

Have a super weekend!
Susan
windhorseOne Studios

2 comments:

Toni Whitney said...

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Susan, it is gorgeous!!!

susan Williams said...

Hi Toni, Thanks! It took me a few goes but I knew it was there!