Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Exploring Relationships

I was recently asked to submit four images using horses that best represented the concept of relationships. Part of the challenge for me is that the work needs to be in a portrait format and much of my work that satisfied the request is in landscape format. There is an urgency to this, leaving no time to photograph so off to my archives of images I went!

A relationship is normally viewed as a connection between two individuals and as far as I am concerned the two individuals may be two horses, two people or a person and a horse. While people are not always clear about their relationships the good news is that horses are! Because horses are herd animals and also prey animals, it is imperative that they know how they relate to one another for the sake of survival. Horses also like to have consistent relationships and leadership from their humans.

I decided on head shots for the task because I felt the closeup gave a sense of intimacy, which may or may not be part of a relationship. These two horses enjoy the company of one another immensely and seem to respect and relate well to each other. All the key ingredients of a great relationship I would say!

Be on the lookout for the next equine relationship!

No comments: