Friday, March 6, 2009

Appaloosa Portrait: Number Two

Here is my second appaloosa portrait using similar colors to the first. I am working with a bit of blue again and I think it has really enhanced the horse. I will probably do at least one more.

This picture was taken last year at a roundup in Craig Colorado. Every year the Sombrero ranch brings the horses in from their winter wonderland to prepare them to go back to work. The horses are leased out to various dude ranches and outfitters until their season is over. It is truly an amazing site to witness! There is dust flying and horses whinnying and there are about 100 photographers who go to take pictures. The horses just run by and around us and I know that I was so in the moment that I could have been bumped and trampled at any time!

There is something about running horses that mesmerizes people. I think it is because there is such a feeling of freedom and power that accompanies a running horse. We can hear the hooves pounding and the wind on our face even if we have never ridden before. Many people who buy my art do not have horses yet they are so captivated by the archetypal energy associated with the horse.

Tonight I am going downtown to Denver for the First Friday opening. I haven't done that for a while so I am really looking forward to it!

Have a super weekend!
Susan
windhorseOne Studios
www.windhorseone.com

No comments: